Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement (JHEOE) General Guidelines for All Submissions
Technical / Writing Guidelines: Manuscripts should
- Represent original and unpublished work of the authors and must not be under consideration by other publications;
- Indicate that the Institutional Review Board (IRB) human subjects approval was secured if applicable (or explain why it was not required);
- Not be more than 10,000 words;
- Have a separate cover page that includes the names, institutional affiliations, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of all authors, and mask all of this information throughout the manuscript to ensure anonymity in the reviewing process;
- Include a brief abstract (not to exceed 150 words);
- Be typed, double-spaced throughout, and include block quotes (when necessary) and appropriate references;
- All submissions should be publication ready. Therefore, it is important to ensure it has been thoroughly reviewed and edited.
- Be formatted using American Psychological Association (APA) style, 6th edition;
- Have photos and graphics submitted as .jpg, .tif, or .eps files, not placed into the Word document. Tables may be placed in Word documents;
- Be formatted and saved in Microsoft Word 2003, or higher; and
- Be read by someone that is not familiar with the topic of the manuscript (for content clarity) as well as copy edited (for grammatical correctness) prior to submission.
A Manuscript is evaluated according to
- The appropriateness or fit for the mission of the Journal;
- The significance in contributing new knowledge (advancing a field of study; or providing best practices or lessons-learned);
- The rigor and appropriateness of the scholarship; and
- The readability and flow of the information and ideas presented.
Additional criteria are based on the type of submission: as a research article, as a reflective essay; as a project with promise article; as a practice story from the field; as a dissertation abstract; or as a book review.
For MAC OS X users: If you are having trouble viewing PDF files in the Firefox browser, visit this site, or view the PDF files using the Safari browser. Any questions can be sent to email@example.com.