The mission of the JHEOE is to serve as the premier peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal to advance theory and practice related to all forms of outreach and engagement between higher education institutions and communities.
This includes highlighting innovative endeavors; critically examining emerging issues, trends, challenges, and opportunities; and reporting on studies of impact in the areas of public service, outreach, engagement, extension, engaged research, community-based research, community-based participatory research, action research, public scholarship, service-learning, and community service.
The JHEOE invites manuscripts in five categories:
- Research Articles: Quantitative, qualitative, or mixed-method studies that demonstrate the long-term impact of a university-community engagement project on the community, students, faculty and staff, or the institution.
- Reflective Essays: Thought provoking examinations of current issues related to university-community engagement that are anchored in the literature.
- Projects with Promise: Descriptions of early-stage university-community engagement projects with early indications of impact; plan for long-term evaluation; plan for how the project will be sustained; and best practices for the reader to emulate.
- Book Reviews: Reviews of books related to university-community engagement that go beyond mere description of the contents to analyze and glean implications for theory and practice.
- Dissertation Overviews: Dissertation summaries of methods used to examine topics related to university-community engagement.
The Guiding Principles for the JHEOE include high expectations for rigorous scholarship and clarity of presentation.
Peer Review Process
Articles are evaluated on the criteria outlined below.
- The appropriateness or fit for the mission of the JHEOE;
- The significance in contributing new knowledge (advancing a field of study; or providing best practices or lessons-learned);
- The rigor and appropriateness of the scholarship; and
- The readability and flow of the information and ideas presented.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.